Original Radioactive Jam

Just a dollop, on a donut with SPAM® Spread* ==>==>==> We've moved!

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Interview Part Deux

if you missed Part 1, you’re lost. Start here instead

AARDGEEK: Aaannnnndd we’re back interviewing Radioactive Jam, trying to wrap our minds around this whole mismatched shoe thing. You say your children think it’s a weird thing to do?
JAM: Not exactly; they think I’m weird for doing it. Well, some of them think so. Kind of mixed reviews overall, from the youngest wishing I’d resume my former invisibility to the oldest finding the practice mildly disturbing, at least at first. The two middle ones seem to have taken it in stride, so to speak.
AARDGEEK: Lame puns – is that like a specialty or something?
JAM: --
AARDGEEK: What was it about the shoes that your oldest child found disturbing?
JAM: I think she has a highly developed sense of…I don’t know, symmetry maybe. In general I’ve seen a wide range of reactions from people. My wife tolerates the cloud of idiosyncrasies emanating from me; I’ve never understood why but I’m glad all the same. My mom likes the idea of mixing shoe colors. Employers have been surprisingly understanding, while co-workers and customers seem to appreciate the novelty.
AARDGEEK: Or maybe they’re easily amused at your expense.
JAM: That’s a possibility.
AARDGEEK: What about people you don’t know? I’m assuming if you’re strange enough to regularly wear mismatched shoes, you’re not shy about it.
JAM: I’ve been surprised. First was realizing most people don’t even seem to notice, which kind of made sense when I thought about it. I mean, we’re talking about feet, here. I’m not a female, so if people notice me at all, their eyes seldom drop below my face.
AARDGEEK: Wait a minute. What’s gender got to do with it?
JAM: --
AARDGEEK: Oh. Right. Never mind. Sorry.
JAM: Some people make comments, mostly curious or positive. Some frown and avoid eye contact, or give me a There’s Something Wrong With You look. Most surprising to me though, are little kids.
AARDGEEK: How so?
JAM: I haven’t seen many that even notice, but the few that do begin to stare, like they’re seeing something completely outside their frame of reference and can’t figure it out.
AARDGEEK: That’s where I’m at…
JAM: They’re too young to dress themselves, so the concept of right and wrong matching of shoes doesn’t exist in their minds, doesn’t even register. Yet they stare at my shoes like an adult might stare at some alien creature.
AARDGEEK: That’s where I’m at…
JAM: And it makes me think humans are like, wired for bilateral symmetry. That we’re born with it. Seeing me with one orange and one blue shoe, the wiring doesn’t know what to do with it, can’t handle it. Same holds true for some adults. Others seem able to deal with having their wires crossed; it triggers a positive response. True story: one guy shouted at me across a parking lot, “Coolest shoes in town!” The lady and child beside him seemed less impressed.
AARDGEEK: You do live in a fairly small town, right?
JAM: Yeah. I kept my day job. My favorite reaction of all time, though, came from a professional, a doctor.
AARDGEEK: M.D.?
JAM: A shrink, actually.
AARDGEEK: Hmm! While I think about how best to exploit that bit of information, we’ll take another break. Don’t stray too far, there’s more ahead…

Jump to Part 3

0 Emissions:

Post a Comment

<< Home