Original Radioactive Jam

Just a dollop, on a donut with SPAM® Spread* ==>==>==> We've moved!

Friday, August 05, 2005

O Sole Mio

it’s not too late to stop reading this for the love of Ethelbert stop
The one and only Scroobious Scrivener recently posted a shoe revue, then invited her readers to do the same¹. Her Five Questions: How many pairs? Most expensive pair? Cheapest? Last shoes bought? How many shoes under your work desk?

Since “thorough shoe inventory” was on this weekend’s to-do list I decided to check it off a little early and emit the results. I think you’ll agree this is a fairly typical catalog, much the same as what you’d find in any guy’s closet.
1. How many pairs?
Okay. I distinctly remember none of my teachers ever writing report card commentary like "Good at following directions" or equivalent. So I'm going to summarize my answers to pretty much all five questions with a single photo. You can click the pic below for a bigger view.
And let's not dwell on conventional metrics like "number of pairs²". Look at these through my eyes and instead of mere pairs you'll see... combinations. Yeah. There's a lot of possibilities here. :->

¹ "Follow in her footsteps" - apropos, but too predictable.
² Um. Nineteen I think.

6 Emissions:

Blogger Nadia emitted...

Ah, so many possibilites! To think I only own one pair of Converse shoes. And in plain, boring (yet sturdy) brown too...sigh. Any chance you'll do an Omar an give away a brand-spanking new pair as a milestone prize?

8/05/2005 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger glo emitted...

I walked past a Converse shoe display the other day and wondered who still buys them. Now I know.

8/06/2005 01:00:00 AM  
Blogger ScroobiousScrivener emitted...

Truly, a picture worth a thousand words.

I do find such devotion to a single style rather, um, surprising. I'll assume that you do (probably) have a token pair of Smart Shoes hiding somewhere in the background. Nonetheless. How did this start?

8/06/2005 03:14:00 AM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Nadia - good idea. Maybe with a nice radioactive trefoil logo opposite the Covnerse star. Wonder if "Nukage Green" is an available color? Or anything that glows in the dark. One more thing - you might want to take a closer look at the dark green one front and center. A friend of yours says hi.

Rainpuddles - that's one of the reasons I wear mixed colors, a so-far unpopular activity.

Glo - since I'm Frugal By Spousal Edict (and yes, good sense) I normally buy 'em cheap on eBay.

Scroobious - I appreciate your tactful assessment of my admittedly abnormal behavior. There are indeed several shy Smart pairs colocated with the dominant pack: comfortable Formals for jacket and tie events, sturdy Hikers for abusive yardwork etc.

How this started... several years ago I visited a now-closed Converse Outlet store. I wanted to replace some trashed black hi-tops and hoped to find a less expensive pair; instead I found a rainbow collection at ridiculously low prices ($10 US per pair). I bought three pair and paid less than the price for one at (then) full retail. Later I returned for a couple more pairs. Then the store closed due to the Converse bankruptcy thing. I panicked (insert relevant Addict simile here); I'd started wearing mixed colors to work and had acquired something like a fan club. I needed more combinations!

Then I checked eBay. Time passed, money changed hands and here we are. :)

8/06/2005 07:06:00 AM  
Blogger ScroobiousScrivener emitted...

And so eBay pursues its bid for world domination by feeding yet another hitherto unsuspected form of addiction. I applaud your sartorial creativity.

8/06/2005 01:03:00 PM  
Blogger Syar emitted...

I was to get the nicest pair of pink and grey converse sneaks for my birthday last year. SUPPOSED. asked the staff to find me a size 7. took them three members of staff and an enormous amount of waffling around on ladders and by half an hour, I still didn't have my shoes. I had to leave that stupid, %$#@& store and go to another where I got a nylon and suede pair, in blue and brown colours. they're still kicking shoes, but I still mourn the pink-n-grey ones I never got. damn part time temps.

you have more shoes than I do by the way.

and I noticed the little yellow monster in the sore shoe out at the bottom of the picture. beware RaJ, he might be siccing some mutated athlete's foot on you!

p.s : your comments on my blog(s)were lovely to read. you always make my day that way. :-)

8/07/2005 08:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home