Original Radioactive Jam

Just a dollop, on a donut with SPAM® Spread* ==>==>==> We've moved!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

For Sale: Darth Vader's Lightsaber, more

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
If I (1) lived in California and (2) had obscene amounts of disposable income, I would be happy to attend the upcoming Profiles In History Hollywood memorabilia auction. Per the catalog:

WELCOME to our Summer auction of Hollywood memorabilia! This sale features some rare and unusual offerings, many of which are appearing at auction for the very first time. We’re pleased to present a number of selected artifacts from the first three Star Wars films, direct from the collection of Star Wars producer Gary Kurtz, including:
• Darth Vader’s light saber from The Empire Strikes Back
• Luke Skywalker’s light saber from Star Wars
• Luke Skywalker’s X-Wing flight suit from both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back
• Stormtrooper blaster from Star Wars

Yoda's cane, too. Announcement spotted on /.

To assuage my disappointment I subjected myself to yet another nerd test. Perhaps it's one you've not yet tried as well; I found it quite challenging, as these things go. My score:
45.23809523809524%.

18 Emissions:

Blogger glo emitted...

I suppose the auction is one of those events in SoCal that require proof of income prior to entrance. I hate those. Just because I can't buy doesn't mean I don't deserve to ogle...

7/06/2005 03:07:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Something about Qualified Bidders, yes. There's more than Star Wars stuff, like leather jackets: the brown one Indy wore in The Last Crusade, and! the black one the Guv'ner himself wore in Terminator.

And I thought that got destroyed when he did.

7/06/2005 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger Lia emitted...

I can't decide if I'd rather have Luke's light saber or Yoda's cane. Can I have both?

7/06/2005 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

(Ethereal voiceover) "Use the force, Lia."
Persuade other bidders to ignore the items you desire.

7/07/2005 06:09:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah Cate emitted...

26 point something something something percent. What was with all the game questions?

7/07/2005 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Cate, I don't know. Almost stopped taking the test midway through it; I just felt so inadequate! At least the "stupid" answers were funny.

Maybe the creators represent a different species of geek.

7/07/2005 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah Cate emitted...

I only stuck with it for the occasional Dune or Farscape question. The stupid answers were the best part almost...

Went back and answered all "stupid" options - 0% - I guess they weren't kidding about those being the wrong ansers.

7/07/2005 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Dune? As in, book(s), movie(s),...?

7/07/2005 02:20:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah Cate emitted...

Dune. As in The. Best. Sci-Fi. Book. Ever.

The movie is okay, and the Sci-Fi channel miniseries was enjoyable but I'm all about the book.

7/07/2005 02:35:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Yes. I've often wanted a crysknife. What an amazing world.

Did you read and/or like any of the follow-ons, Dune Messiah etc.?

7/07/2005 02:54:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah Cate emitted...

Dune Messiah and Children of Dune - love them both. But I can never get past the first 100 pages of God Emperor of Dune. I read the first couple prequels written by his son, but they just weren't the same, yanno.

7/07/2005 03:14:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Yeah. It was "The Duncan" I think, increasingly--I don't know, weird. Like, okay there was a point back there somewhere, but I lost track of it.

Sounds like you made it farther into the prequels than I did. I remember the first being okay, didn't finish the second, no interest since.

I'll probably get desperate and try them again sometime.

7/07/2005 03:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous emitted...

How do you play Darth Vader in a movie and not walk off with your light saber? There is no way I wouldn't "forget" to hand in my light saber at the end of the shoot.

7/07/2005 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah Cate emitted...

RaJ (how much do I love this new nickname I've given you?) - I've had that same thought, passing the prequels in the library or a bookstore: "Maybe someday, when I'm really desperate..."

7/07/2005 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Anne - yeah. Wonder how creatively the authenticity cert. couches its weasel words.

Cate - ever heard of or seen John C. Wright's The Golden Age?

7/07/2005 05:47:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Rainpuddles (hi, welcome, thanks for dropping in, stop by anytime) -
This test was the "hardest" geek/nerd test I've seen. Not that I've taken all that many.

I suppose a related issue is how many of these tests does one see and not take.

For me that number would be, um, just guessing here, roughly, cough-Zero-cough.

And Demosthenes - I sympathize and understand.

One can always try a different test!

Thanks go to Cate for suggesting this one.
:->

7/08/2005 06:28:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah Cate emitted...

The Golden Age? Nope, never heard of it.

7/08/2005 11:19:00 AM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Not a geek, not to worry. There's (can't believe I'm writing this) nothing wrong with not being a geek.

There's also nothing wrong with being a geek. Still, the prevailing view holds not-a-geek = normal, and geek = abnormal.

Geekness is more a continuum than a binary thing. That is, some people show a few geek-like traits, others show many.

Some might say if you're not a geek that's a good thing; "you have a life," they'd say, referring to social interactions of a non-technical nature. I'd defend an opposing view if not for all the times I've said "I have no life." :->

Software engineers - I'm one - are notoriously strong in the geek side of the force. A joke I've heard goes like this: How do you tell if a software engineer is an extrovert?
When he talks to you he stares at your shoes (instead of his own).

Hope this helps with the ID crisis.
:)

7/09/2005 08:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home