Original Radioactive Jam

Just a dollop, on a donut with SPAM® Spread* ==>==>==> We've moved!

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Pardon Our Dust

They've been experimenting on you I'm afraid.
Not content to leave well enough alone, I'm playing with a new bug feature: showing post summaries or "snippets" by default, with a link to see the post in its entirety.

Not the Momma snippet! (Click to see full post)

Not. For details see my explanation in comment #9.**

Yet another update: IE issue now resolved. I think.

This may prove to be more trouble than it's worth. For one thing I haven't figured out how to not present the "See The Rest" link on non-snippeted posts. This doesn't hurt anything, but it implies there's more to the post than what you initally see.* Another side-effect: you'll have to click something - the "Home" link, the weblog title, your browser's "Back" button or equivalent to see all that other great stuff here.*

Anyway I want to try this for a bit, see how it goes. Please let me know if you like it, hate it, don't much care one way or another, etc. Especially etc.

Thanks, folks!

UPDATE I re-read the Blogger Help page where I found this trick; they mention one of the side-effects I noted. Ha, ha, ha. It is to laugh.
Disadvantages: Requires changes to the posts themselves, rather than to the template only. However, the "read more" link is in the template, so it will appear regardless of whether a post has been truncated or not. (Modifying this feature is left as an exercise for the reader.)
D'Oh!
YET ANOTHER UPDATE Found a solution to the aforementioned exercise. Happy, I am.
* These statements are not invitations to offer commental abuse. You don't need an invitation for that sort of thing. :)
** Anyone else automatically think of The Beatles upon seeing a reference to "number 9?"

15 Emissions:

Blogger Bill C emitted...

Such a laid-back, dispassionate view... :-O

Score one for Team LeaveItAlone.

8/25/2005 02:26:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Wow Demosthenes, did you just collectively diss the finest group of people I've never met? The Radioactive Jam Flame PotentioMeters are pegged, dude; better put a fireproof suit on over some Kevlar!

Anyway. Novel? For me, yes. Pro? I have no idea. I hope nothing like this goes over anyone's head! Seems pretty simple to me: short intro, click for more.

I'm just experimenting, kind of *ahem* monkeying around, that's all. Like I said, can't leave well enough alone.

8/25/2005 04:53:00 PM  
Blogger J Incarnate emitted...

Interesting idea. Playing with fate? *rubs chin while pondering* This would be good for those who like to test new ideas. Anyways, yes you should write a novel, calling it "War and Monkeys".
(Ha Ha)

8/25/2005 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger Syar emitted...

I clicked the link. There was nothing there! I'm with Lou on this one, leave well enough alone! I'm all against more clicking. tires the fingers.

besides...if it aint broke, don't fix it. to quote one of the most cliched phrases in history.

8/25/2005 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger glo emitted...

I loves me some blog repairs....the future awaits, Jam.

8/25/2005 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Ah. Now I understand:
Firefox = works
MSIE = doesn't work.
Excuse me for a moment while I think truly horrible thoughts about Microsoft and their plan for world domination through total disregard for conventional html standards.

Thank you. Heading back to normal; innovation and bright ideas shelved.

8/26/2005 06:26:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah Cate emitted...

I missed all the fun! Pooh. I'm never going home sick again.

8/26/2005 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Sabrina Co emitted...

What's dem der default links thingies you mentioned?
Gosh... I need to brush up on my reading ability so that I can make my blog look and act perty...

8/26/2005 12:04:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

They're victims of ... never mind. :)
If you want to see What Was, here's a Blogger help link - with an example - that got me interested in trying the little experiment [Link].

8/26/2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Except the example doesn't work, sorry. Maybe that should have told me something.

8/26/2005 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger ScroobiousScrivener emitted...

"left as an exercise for the reader"

Why the low-down, sneaky, scumsucking...

8/27/2005 06:42:00 AM  
Blogger glo emitted...

Oh, well, if abuse isn't an option, I don't even know why I come here....

8/28/2005 04:47:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Glo ... it's always an option. Even though invitations aren't necessary, consider yourself permanently invited. :)

8/28/2005 06:18:00 PM  
Blogger omar emitted...

Two extra clicks has all you people bent out of shape? Jam, I thought it was fine. In fact, (puts on Movable Type hat) this is a built-in feature in Movable Type, it allows you to display post excerpts on your index page with a link to read more. I haven't found instance to use it yet, but doggone it, I will. If it's the last thing I do...

(I'm feeling dramatic today.)

8/29/2005 08:08:00 AM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Omar, thanks for understanding. Truth is, I will most likely use the feature on selected posts once I figure out a way to make IE not barf on the script.

In reality the "extra clicks" aspect is kind of a non-issue. If you don't click a link, you click a scrollbar (or spin a wheel); fingers and mice either way.

8/29/2005 10:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home