Original Radioactive Jam

Just a dollop, on a donut with SPAM® Spread* ==>==>==> We've moved!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Antehybrid

I rather enjoy making up words
Remember when I stopped driving the lovely yet fuel-hungry 4X4 pickup, and started driving the odd-shaped little Civic with its custom fadeaway paint job? I expected the fuel-sipping Honda to get 35-40 miles per gallon, and cut my commuting fuel comsumption in half. Turns out my estimate was off by more than 25%. I hate when that happens.

Not so much in this case though, because this morning I logged a mind-boggling 54 miles per gallon from my little red friend. "Happy" doesn't begin to describe my emotional state. Mostly though I'm stunned. This car is almost fourteen years old. It didn't cost a lot in 1992, and it didn't set me back much, either; well under $2000 US after tax, tag etc. 54 miles per gallon! In simplest terms this means each gallon of fuel now takes me almost three times farther than before.

Did I mention I'm beyond happy?

Seems like hybrids are all the rage these days. I bet many of those nice, expensive hybrids are burning more fuel than I am. Why is this? I'm not complaining but there's something wrong with this picture. My car predates hybrids by more than a decade. Fourteen years, technology and engineering improvements out the wazooty, automakers roll out these high-tech (read: expen$ive) hybrids and I'm supposed to go, "Ooh, Ahh, where do I sign?" It is to laugh, i.e. ROTFLU, CUBAG.* Anyone else get the feeling automakers have been taking us for a ride, so to speak?

* Rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably, coughing up blood and guts. In case you were, you know, wondering.

8 Emissions:

Blogger Jenni emitted...

I'm sorry I don't get feelings like that. Maybe later when I actually have to start buying cars with my own money when I come to an age when it starts becoming a bit ridiculous to ask dad "Can you please buy me a car?"

I have one feeling that may perhaps be relevant.

Paying for the petrol for my car.

It takes nearly 60 of my Australian dollars to fill up my car and that takes me 360 km according to my dashboard information. I do not know what this means in terms of distance nor whether it is a good or bad thing. I just know the 60 of my Australian dollars could have paid for 3 weeks of ice cream.

10/04/2005 07:45:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

I'm glad you've got "no worries" in this regard. Besides Ice Cream Lost, of course. As a student you've got enough to worry about already.

10/04/2005 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger anaglyph emitted...

I just traded my Honda CRV for a little red Mercedes 'Smart'. Yippee. The CRV wasn't too bad on fuel for a pretend 4WD, but the Smart is ultra-cool.

As for the possible conspiracy between the car makers and the gas companies, well, I have the feeling that we'll be tearing the gas nozzles from their dead boney fingers - they aren't gonna let go of that fossil fuel lightly methinks.

10/05/2005 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown emitted...

Your right Jam, the hybrid cars don't get amazeing mpg but they use less gas doing it.

Which saves gas USE equaling less per gallon COST at the pump.

somewhere

10/05/2005 03:47:00 AM  
Blogger ScroobiousScrivener emitted...

I'm thoroughly confused by Don's argument there. Using less gas to get less mpg? My brain hurts. It must be Wednesday.

But v happy for you. You done got a great deal, there.

* I was wondering, yes.

10/05/2005 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous emitted...

My first car was a Civix hatchback. It needed neither fuel nor oil, and lasted over ten years.

10/05/2005 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger anaglyph emitted...

That's just plain not true Anne Arkham.

10/06/2005 04:18:00 AM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

I bet she has the lack of receipts to prove it.

10/06/2005 06:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home