Original Radioactive Jam

Just a dollop, on a donut with SPAM® Spread* ==>==>==> We've moved!

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Smaller World

digital compression
A strong earthquake destroys remote villages in Pakistan. The quake damages buildings in Islamabad and was felt in three or four countries. Already the death toll is numbered in tens of thousands.

Seeing the headlines my first thought was I know someone who lives in that area; I hope she's okay (she's fine, family and friends okay too). I expect we've all had similar experiences with personal connections to significant events outside our immediate environment. Why this one is different for me: I "met" this person through her comments on someone's weblog.

Caring about people whose paths cross mine through posting and commenting - most of whom I've never met - this seems easy and natural, not some great or uncommon thing. For me, the surprising part has been Diversity. I'm not suprised by the existence of such diversity in the blogging community; instead I'm amazed how readily and easily our paths cross...and overlap.

Anaglyph might tell me (again) I need to get out more, and he's probably right. But if I did-- no. Make that when I do, I want to visit your part of the world. There's so many places Radioactive Spouse and I haven't seen. Seriously: if there's ever a Radioactive Jam World Tour, we'll be heading your way. And if you find yourself in central Florida some day let us know; we'll do lunch. Or dinner, dessert, tea, the beach... whatever.

So that's my thought du jour. As my world expands the World gets smaller, and it's all because of this blogging thing, an activity started as a lark/experiment less than six months ago.

Shiny.

4 Emissions:

Blogger Syar emitted...

I'm first. :-) that should make up for missing a helluva lot of posts. I haven't had this experience yet, where a blogger I know gets seriously affected by a real world issue. but what with the headlines these days (bali, bombed again?*sigh*).... lets just say I don't want it to happen.

I so agree though, that blogging expands your horizons, not just through the things you read but through the people that post them.

too bad the only times I was in Florida was when I was below the age of 10 and not even introduced to the Internet, much less blogging. we'll see if I won't go there again sometime in the future. :-)

10/10/2005 03:02:00 AM  
Blogger ScroobiousScrivener emitted...

Isn't it amazing? I never really expected my blog to be read by anyone outside my existing circle of friends. As it turns out, precious few of them read it, but suddenly I have friends in the US, Guyana and Malaysia. (The stats say elsewhere too, but none of them are commenting!) I never hung out in online chatrooms, never expected to have online friends. Never expected my world to shrink this way. (A good way.)

Wherever I am when the Jam Jaunt occurs, I'll be expecting a call.

10/10/2005 06:42:00 AM  
Blogger A emitted...

You know what? I just might be headed your way next fall :>

That also means you should plan your trip here before that...July's your deadline!

10/10/2005 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger anaglyph emitted...

If you're ever in Sunny Sydney Jam, I will give you the Royal Tour, you can bank on it!

10/11/2005 06:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home