Original Radioactive Jam

Just a dollop, on a donut with SPAM® Spread* ==>==>==> We've moved!

Sunday, September 18, 2005

A Few Moments

Arrh!
Sept. 19 update: aye matey, be sure'n scrawl a comment or three today for our pirate-talkin' friends arrh!round the world.

Probably you've seen or heard the line from Beverly Donofrio's Riding In Cars With Boys: "One day can make your life; one day can ruin your life. All life is is four or five big days that change everything." But my most powerful memories are of moments, not days. Sometimes the moments fell within Change Everything kinds of days, though not always. Some examples:
  • Looking into my best friend's eyes and saying "I do"
  • Free-falling from 13,000 feet
  • Ice skating across a frozen lake at midnight
  • Making and holding eye contact with our minutes-old firstborn child
My memory seems to hold vignettes instead of extended scenes. What about your life's big events? Do you remember moments? Long, detailed stretches? Combinations?

11 Emissions:

Blogger anaglyph emitted...

Can't do mine, for reasons you will know if you've read back far enough into my blog. My keyboard will just get corroded from too many tears... maybe ask me this question in a year or two.

9/18/2005 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Syar emitted...

when its in my head, in this little snapshot of what really happened all blurry and faded, its short. but when I start describing it with words, it becomes extended, details just pour out of me and somehow all those black and white letters paint the real picture. you've been to my second blog, so you know.

Looking into my best friend's eyes and saying "I do"

I hope one day I get to do that.
:-)

9/18/2005 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger A emitted...

Moments, flashes of events. Interesting, I didn't really think of that before.

9/19/2005 03:01:00 AM  
Blogger Jenni emitted...

I'm the long, detailed stretches.

I have enormously detailed visual memories and they are as long as the scene need be.

My memory seems vast in that respect. I can picture reels of scenes without even needing to close my eyes. What people are wearing down to the loose string on the hem of their top, their facial expressions and exactly what was said in particular scenes are all remembered.

I can imagine how more frustrated and upset I'd become than the average person as I slowly lose memory with age because I've been so used to remembering with such detail.

9/19/2005 03:54:00 AM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

Anaglyph - yes. Continuing kind thoughts and prayers for you.

Syar - for us, finding each other involved more patience than searching, something you seem to already know or at least suspect. I hope - and believe - your patience will be rewarded.

A - I think about anniversaries: we count years but live in days, all of which consist of moments.

Jen - such a gift, to apply extended detailed recall to scenes of memory. Hope "science" finds a "cure" for memory loss. Soon.

9/19/2005 07:04:00 AM  
Blogger Lia emitted...

Sometimes there are long detailed stretches in my memories, but the old, long-lasting ones are just snapshots - my first view of the Grand Canyon will be forever impressed on my mind.

Like syar, I'm waiting to add that "looking into my best friend's eyes" to my collection of snapshots. Such a beautiful way to remember such a special moment. And I have a feeling that eye contact with my own newborn will be similarly uplifting.

9/19/2005 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger J Incarnate emitted...

Arrrgh...I love talking like pirates, but I like acting like them more!

9/19/2005 04:16:00 PM  
Blogger glo emitted...

Ahoy! Me memory be a bit foggy dis bright September morn....twer possible fer me ter think, mayhaps I'da be fer sayin':

My life happens in moments. I remember flashes that changed everything, just like the quote says, for good or ill. Those moments grow into experiences, but it all started with a split second's worth of change.

9/19/2005 05:00:00 PM  
Blogger Bill C emitted...

I offer me thanks and raise a toast to the lot of ye: no finer crew has ever sailed these seas, an' I'm honored to make the crossing with ye. For the treasure, mates; for the journey. Arrrrh!

9/19/2005 08:59:00 PM  
Blogger anaglyph emitted...

And fer the songs & the wenches. Arrrr!

9/19/2005 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger Syar emitted...

Aye you scurvy knaves, off we go to ravage and pillage and loot in the name of booze, saucy wenches and Davy Jones!!

I had so many half finished pirate phrases in my head, I can never remember them right. arrr.

I'm good with patience. I'm prepared to wait. :-) I'm too young to be tied down anyway. got too much to do before I settle for that way-too-big-for-me-at-this-current-moment adventure of marriage.

and jam, as is the norm, your words have made my day. you're too sweet. thanks.

9/20/2005 02:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home